In 1867 the School of Arts and Crafts was established at the Imperial Royal Austrian Museum of Art and Industry to enable
Austrian arts and crafts to compete internationally. This school is the predecessor institution of today’s University of Applied
Arts Vienna which is now celebrating its 150th anniversary. The history of the “Angewandte” [Applied] is now portrayed in
a large exhibition which also drafts future scenarios.
Curators: Peter Weibel, Director, ZKM | Center for Art and Media, Karlsruhe, and professor emer., University of Applied Arts Vienna;
Gerald Bast, President, University of Applied Arts Vienna; Elisabeth Schmuttermeier, Curator, MAK Metal Collection and Wiener Werkstätte Archive; Patrick Werkner, Cultural Historian, professor at the University of Applied Arts Vienna