Glass, with faceted shaft, gold and ruby threading, face matte and polished, the knob of the lid continues the gold and ruby threading of the shaft, engraved coat of arms of Duke Christoph Wilhelm von Thürheim the Older(16611738), from 1713 Captain of the land on the Enns
Gl 172 / 1867
Blottendorf near Haida, Bohemia (Polevsko, Czech Republic), before 1835
Copper ruby staining: Friedrich Egermann; green glass from the Harrach Glassworks at Neuwelt (Nový Svět, today a district of Harrachov), Bohemia; cut lythaline (imitation stoneware) glass
Gl 1232 / 1875
Vienna, ca. 1830
Design and Manufacture: workshop of Anton Kothgasser
Curved cup with fluted base, with enamel decoration and gilding; colored veduta painting in a rectangular, bordered field with inscription: Place de la Bibliothèque Imp.le et Roy.le et la Statue Joseph II à Vienne
Gl 2365 / 1917
Oswald Haerdtl: Lidded Box, Drinking Service No. 260 "Ambassador"
Manufacturer: Karlsbader Kristallglasfabriken A.G. for J. & L. Lobmeyr
Josef Hoffmann: Bowl
Manufacture: Meyrs Neffe or Johann Oertel & Co. for the Wiener Werkstätte (Mod. Nr. A I 516 / 531 resp. A ja 43)
Purple colored cut glass
Gl 3111 / 1972
Fazoletto (Handkerchief) Vase
Green-flashed white glass
Gl 3528 / 1985
Cylindrical Glass with Lid
Venice or Imperial Glass Factory, Innsbruck, ca. 1570
White threaded pattern melted into colorless glass
Josef Hoffmann: Bowl
Manufacture: Johann Loetz Witwe, Klostermühle (Kláterský Mlýn, Czech Republic)
Opal-colored bluish glass with green overlay and etching
WI 1594 / 1915
Jardinière, Part of a Flower Set, Oval, Scalped
Manufacturer: Urban Janke & Ludwig Heinrich Jungnickel
Colorless glass, matte etched, bronzite decoration
With unique holdings from between the Middle Ages and the present, the MAKs Glass Collection is among the worlds most important collections of its kind. The optically and technically impressive products made from fragile materials bring to life the hand of the artist and the zeitgeist of the epoch.
The over 7,600 objects of the MAKs glass collection include outstanding examples of the most important European manufactories output and provide an overview of the development of stained glass between the 15th and 19th centuries, as well as of blown glassware from the 16th century to the present. The collections focuses include engraved and cut glass, as well as coat of arms glasses painted in enamel and Schwarzlot painting from Bohemian and Silesian glass factories, as well as a diverse collection of 16th-to-18th-century Venetian glass.
A further collection focus lies on medieval stained glass; the MAKs holdings include works from St. Stephen's Cathedral in Vienna which number among Austrias oldest extant stained glass works. The Biedermeier period is documented by a collection of quality cased glass and hyalith and lithyalin glass, as well as glass works with translucent enamel painting including examples by the glass painters Sigismund and Samuel Mohn and from the workshop of Anton Kothgasser.
Of particular international significance are the holdings of Art Nouveau glass from Austria. The abundance of fine turn-of-the-century glass works in the MAK Collectionwhich aside from those of Josef Hoffmann and Koloman Moser also include designs by Jutta Sika, Carl Witzmann and Michael Powolnyis thanks to individuals including Ludwig Lobmeyr, who worked as a curator at the Museum for Art and Industry (todays MAK) from 1874.
Even back then, Lobmeyralong with other merchant-employers from Vienna including E. Bakalowits & Söhnespearheaded efforts to further the interests of the glass-working trade. Through numerous donations, above all the gift of ca. 1,000 original factory drawings of his glass creations from 1824 onward, Lobmeyr made a major contribution to the MAK collectionwhich today represents the largest museum collection of glass by the company J. & L. Lobmeyr outside of the manufactory itself. The MAKs glass collection also includes high-quality holdings of Art Nouveau glass objects from the various regions of the former Austro-Hungarian monarchy, from France and from America.
Furthermore, the glass collection is home to important examples of French glass art from the Art Déco period as well as simply formed and strongly colored Italian and Scandinavian glass objects from the 1950s and 1960s by Italys Venini and Seguso, Swedens Ørrefors and Finlands ITTALA.
The 21st century is represented above all via objects produced by the company J. & L. Lobmeyr. The tradition of collaborating with contemporary artists has moved merchant-employer Lobmeyr to continue producing designs by contemporary designers such as Barbara Ambrosz, Florian Ladstätter, Miki Martinek, Sebastian Menschhorn, and Polka (Marie Rahm and Monica Singer) in Bohemian production facilities.
Outstanding objects from the MAK Collection of Glass can be found in the halls of the MAK Permanent Collection, specifically in its Baroque Rococo Classicism and Renaissance Baroque Rococo exhibits. An excellent overview of the collection is offered by the permanent exhibit of the Study Collection. At the heart of the glass sectionwhich was redone during the 2006/2007 seasonis the golden era of glass production in Vienna at the dawn of the 20th century, during which Viennese-made products reached a zenith in terms of both quality and variety.
Glass Study Collection
Curator: Rainald Franz, curator, Glass and Ceramics Collection
The Glass Study Collection shows the multiplicity of forms and diversity of colors to be found in glass objects. Changing exhibitions offer an overview of significant phases of the history of European glass production.
With representative holdings of ceramics from Austrian production from the sixteenth century until today, unique groups of objects such as the legacy of the Wiener Porzellanmanufactur (Vienna Porcelain Manufactory) and the extensive collection of tiled stoves, hafner ware, and majolica of the sixteenth to the nineteenth centuries. The MAKs Ceramics Collection is one of the foremost collections of its type in the world.