Applications for the MAK Schindler Scholarship Program Artists and Architects-in-Residence Program must include the following:
General information, exclusively in the English language, to be filled in on the online form
- contact data: name, address, phone and cell phone numbers, e-mail address;
- for organizational reasons, in the case of team applications, a responsible contact’s name and address must be given;
- precise data relating to the applicant’s date and place of birth, studies, school/university, professor, date of diploma, individual and group exhibitions, scholarships, prizes;
- for fine arts applications: designation of the artistic media
- a project description which includes precisely formulated considerations, work approaches and strategies in connection with the applicant’s projected stay in Los Angeles;
- a short definition of the applicant’s artistic objectives.
In addition to the completed online data form, the following materials are to be submitted by mail or personal submission at the MAK Porter's Lodge. Please do not send anything by registered mail:
- a dossier (bound, 15 pages maximum, in English) of the applicant’s realized or projected works which deal innovatively with the following issues:
- space (also urban space, living space, social space),
- the interface of art and architecture or
- experimental spatial approaches in the form of objects, installations, video works, films, texts, and new media projects.
As additional documentation, the application should include up to 3 catalogs or up to 3 examples of films, videos, or new media material (no originals).
We ask you to select, for your dossier, a representative selection of your projects that conveys an impression of your distinctive approach. The material submitted should be no larger than A3 format and should weigh no more than 2 kilograms. CD-ROM material must be suitable for PC and Mac and must, in all cases, be accompanied by a printout (DVD-Video or video files in WMV format).
The intensive concern with architecture and issues of space is to be the subject of a critical reflection, which involves artistic, architectural, and socially relevant tasks and functions. What is of importance is the critical look at architecture and art as an aesthetic language that structures the present, as a medium of political and economic representation, as an expression of individuality and a part of social life. The focus is on the interaction of different media and strategies − built spaces and spatial installations, painting, video, models, sculptures, urban research, and projects in the public space.
What is important for assessing the L.A. project is a high degree of independence in form and content; the ability to critically examine current trends in art, architecture, and society; the compelling connection with Los Angeles as the place of implementing or continuing the applicant's own work as well as a conceptual and experimental approach.
- The results of the projects have to be presented in an exhibition; the exhibition, which will last one or several days, must comply with the possibilities of the MAK Center for Art and Architecture. Participants in the MAK Schindler Scholarship Program may organize complementary events that serve as a presentation and discussion forum focusing on their work in progress.
- A regular cooperation at the MAK Center in the development and implementation of programs and the occasional assistance with exhibitions and events are expected.
In submitting your documents, you agree to all personal data provided by you being processed by the MAK for the implementation and organization of the MAK Schindler Scholarship Program. With the exception of the jury members, your data will not be transmitted to a third party.
Should your application be unsuccessful, the documents submitted by you will be returned to you and all associated data deleted after a lapse of four months.
Should you be selected for the MAK Schindler Scholarship Program, your data and documents will be passed on to the MAK Center L.A. and in the public interest permanently stored for archiving purposes both in the MAK and in the MAK Center L.A. In addition, your photograph and name will be published on the homepage of the MAK Center L.A.