The project traces the architectural and historical background to the building of the first museum on the Vienna Ringstraße, from its design in 1869 to its completion in 1871. In this prototype building for the applied arts, the renowned Ringstraße architect Heinrich von Ferstel planned a total artwork down to the smallest detail.
In order to realize his architectural concept in the style of the Florentine Renaissance as a stylistic whole, von Ferstel gathered together students and professors from the Vienna School of Arts and Crafts to build and furnish the museum: it features frescoes and stencil painting by Ferdinand Laufberger, as well as building sculptures and interiors by Karl Karger, Peter Isella, and August Eisenmenger. The results of the project will be compiled in a booklet and uploaded to a MAK app.
Project Manager: Kathrin Pokorny-Nagel, Head, MAK Library and Works on Paper Collection/Archive
With the participation of Peter Klinger, Stephanie Rosenkranz