Hubert Schmalix, Der Vater weist dem Kind den Weg (The fathter shows the way to his child)
1996, Concrete sculpture on a conrete base, GK 167/1997
MAK Branch Geymüllerschlössel
Opening 5 May 2019
MAK Branch Geymüllerschlössel
Past and Present in Dialog
At the Geymüllerschlössel, a jewel of Biedermeier architecture in Viennas Pötzleinsdorf neighborhood, the MAK shows
furniture from the Empire and Biedermeier periods, old Viennese clocks from the collection of Franz Sobek, and interventions
by contemporary artists and designers.
The Geymüllerschlössel in Pötzleinsdorf, a neighborhood in Vienna’s suburban outskirts, was put up after 1808 as a “summer
building” for the Viennese merchant and banker Johann Jakob Geymüller (1760–1834). Today, it is one of the few places in Austria
offering an authentically original look at the diversity of Biedermeier decorative art. Furnished with original furniture from the first half of the 19th century, the Geymüllerschlössel joins its park, in which
contemporary artistic stances are presented, to form an ensemble in which nature and art, as well as historical and contemporary
artistic stances, enter into dialog with one another: in 1997, Hubert Schmalix’ sculpture Der Vater weist dem Kind den Weg [The Father Shows the Way to His Child] (1996) was set up in the Geymüllerschlössel’s park, and autumn 2004 saw the permanent
addition of the skyspace work The other Horizon (1998/2004) by American artist James Turrell.
In keeping with the MAK’s programmatic emphasis on putting historical artistic heritage in dialog with contemporary artistic
movements, from 2012 till 2015 the MAK DESIGN SALON opened up the the villa to present-day design and made space for intertemporal
juxtapositions. The intent was to have internationally renowned designers deal here with the transformative era of the early
19th century and the building in its role as a museum location in order to shed light on both stylistic and societal ties
to the present day.
In its architectural language, the building itself exhibits a mix of Gothic, Indian, and Arabian stylistic elements that is
quite common in buildings from the early 19th century, above all summer residencies. To this day, the name of the architect
remains unknown. The estate was purchased in 1888 by textile industrialist Isidor Mautner, who mortgaged it to the Austrian
National bank in 1929. When Nazi-controlled Germany annexed Austria in 1938, the heirs of Isidor Mautner (who had passed away
in 1930), being Jewish, lost all citizenship rights and were forced to flee persecution by the Nazi regime. The mortgage on
the Geymüllerschlössel was transferred to Germany’s Reichsbank, which seized the building as compensation for the outstanding
debt in 1944.
After the end of World War II, ownership passed to the Austrian National Bank, which in turn sold the Geymüllerschlössel to
the Republic of Austria in 1948. The funds for this purchase were supplied by Franz Sobek, who in return received the lifelong
right to live in the villa and supervised the building’s renovation over the years that followed. In 1965, the Republic of
Austria bought Sobek out of his rights to the property, and the Geymüllerschlössel was incorporated into the MAK as a museum
branch. Together with the building, Dr. Franz Sobek’s important collection of 160 old-Viennese clocks dating from the period between
1760 and the second half of the 19th century also came into the possession of the MAK, as did furniture made between 1800
and 1840. Complimented by Empire and Biedermeier furniture from the MAK Collection, these clocks number among the most important points of interest at the Geymüllerschlössel.
Renovations carried out during the late 1980s returned the façade and parts of the paintwork on the building's interior to
their original states. Thanks to this and to the subsequent rearrangement of the clocks and furniture among the various rooms,
today’s visitors still receive an impression of a wealthy bourgeois summer residence done in the Empire and Biedermeier styles.
Careful attention in the refurbishment was given to the textile decorations of the building as well as to the furniture’s
upholstery, thanks to which the Geymüllerschlössel is now the only remaining place in Austria that affords an authentic insight
into the diversity of ways in which textiles were employed in Biedermeier interior decorating.
During the period between 6 May and 2 December 2018, guided tours offer insights into diverse aspects of Biedermeier
life every Sunday at 3 p.m. No registration is necessary. Upon request, special tours can also be scheduled outside of opening hours both for individuals
and for groups. Information on special tours is available by contacting T +43 1 711 36-298 or .
Pötzleinsdorferstraße 102, 1180 Vienna T +43 1 711 36-231 or 248
Parking lot There is no wheelchair access to the building at this time.
May until December Season 2019: 5 May until 1 December
€ 12 / reduced € 9 Free admission for children and teens up to 19
The admission ticket is also valid for a visit to the MAK on the same day.
Every Sunday 3 p.m. (held in German), May till December Attendance fee € 3,50 (1 hour) per person, except children up to 6 Special tours on a variety of subjects bookable for individuals and groups, also outside opening hours. Information and inquiries T +43 1 711 36-298,
How to Get There
Tram line 41 Schottentor to Pötzleinsdorf, then bus line 41A to Khevenhüllerstraße (one stop)
Curator: Rainald Franz
With representative holdings of ceramics from Austrian production from the sixteenth century until today, unique groups of
objects such as the legacy of the Wiener Porzellanmanufactur (Vienna Porcelain Manufactory) and the extensive collection of
tiled stoves, hafner ware, and majolica of the sixteenth to the nineteenth centuries. The MAKs Ceramics Collection is
one of the foremost collections of its type in the world.
With unique holdings from between the Middle Ages and the present, the MAKs Glass Collection is among the worlds
most important collections of its kind. The optically and technically impressive products made from fragile materials bring
to life the hand of the artist and the zeitgeist of the epoch.
The MAK is home to an extensive collection of furniture and woodwork, in light of which the artistic and stylistic tendencies
of furniture historywith a focus on Austria and Viennacan be understood along with the cultural-historical and
political developments of the past nearly 150 years. The collection encompasses over 4,600 objects ranging from small carvings
and ornamental boxes to massive cabinets and whole room interiors.